ASHP Control Optimisation

Triassic

I've installed an ASHP and the electrician set it up based on information he had from the manufacturer. Having run the system over Christmas and the New Year. I'm wondering if its time I optimized the set up.

I recall someone referencing a Forum that deals exclusively in such things. Can anyone point me in the right direction or comment of the best approach to optimization.  Which are the important things to look at etc.?

The 2 main things are run the heating at the lowest temperature that it will deliver enough heat, and heat your hot water only to about 48 degrees.

You can also play around with temperature compensation curves, but best first to find the minimum heating temperature that delivers enough heat in the very coldest weather without compensation first.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

You can also play around with temperature compensation curves, but best first to find the minimum heating temperature that delivers enough heat in the very coldest weather without compensation first.

Is there a description of how the compensation curve works? Mine have four set points in the curve, but I'm not sure what each one is for?

It may depend on the make of heat pump.  In my case the "curve" is a straight line connecting a minimum and maximum outdoor temperature on one axis and a maximum and minimum leaving water temperature on the other axis.  At the moment I have -3 and 18 specified as my minimum and maximum outdoor temperatures and 50 and 29 as my maximum and minimum water temperatures.  My system (all radiators) is specified (in the MCS Certificate) for 50 C water temperature but I have concluded that I don't need 50 C unless the outside temperature is -3 C or below.  Today it was about 6 C outside and my heat pump should have been targeting a water temperature of about 41 C.  Certainly the house was as warm as I want it to be.  And with these new settings I am using much less electricity than when the system was new a year ago - or is it just that last January particularly cold?