Project Managing Self Build

iMCaan

Hello All

Building a new detached house in Yorkshire. Project managing and sub contracting. 

Foundations are complete and the work on the substructure has started

Hopefully, my experience will/may help someone out there. I know I will definitely learn from others.

Note, there are cowboy architects too.

iMCaan

• Thanks 1

I'm in the process of building a detached house. Just started on the substructure and it just took 6 years to get it to this stage :).

The architect hardly communicated. I used to contact him via phone and emails many times before I could get a reply back. These signs were noticeable almost from the beginning but I stuck with him. I wish I moved to another architect a lot sooner.

We eventually got the plans approved and started the build last year. However, the site engineer realised the driveway was too steep as the architect didn't consider the site levels. I contacted planning department to ask if I could raise the ground floor level. However, they wanted us to submit revised plans. The work stopped.

The architect wanted more money to correct/add the site levels, however, I wasn't prepared to pay him extra for his mistake. It didn't feel right to me. However, I did agree to pay the planning fees. We didn't come to an agreement so I finally decided to go with another architect and pay him the full fees. 

Anyway, past is behind me. Looking to move on.

iMCaan