AVCL vs Taped PIR? and is off-gassing really an issue?

Thorfun

Hi all,

getting ready to put the PIR internal to the timber frame. When I had a condensation analysis done and spoke to Isover they recommended just taping the PIR to form the airtight layer.

but I am worried it won't be enough and also worried of off-gassing and think it might be better to keep the PIR and it's off-gassing behind a silver AVCL membrane (like Protect VC Foil Ultra) instead.

Was just wondering what other peoples opinions are on this? is off-gassing really something to be concerned about from a health perspective and would sealing it behind an AVCL stop any of the potentially harmful off-gassing?

1 hour ago, Iceverge said:

A proper VCL won't break the bank if you want to do the job well. You'll need some for details and window reveals anyway.   We paid about €1.15 per m2. 

You'll save a chunk of tape too which is much more expensive. 

I think that's exactly what I wanted to hear and probably what I'll end up doing! not sure about buying from Europe though as I'll have to pay upfront. if I buy from Jewsons and put it on my account and then pay that off on the credit card I can push the credit to about 3 months! that's worth quite a lot to me as I juggle funds.