Porch Party Wall

Over 10 years ago my wife’s first husband agreed with our neighbours to have a joint build of porches then pulled out at the last minute.  This resulted in the wall between our properties straddling the boundary line (easily identifiable as the 2 halves are mirror images of each other, identifiable in the image by the colour differences in masonry paint), the roof projecting over our property and some screeding on our side of the property.

I’m looking to build a porch, effectively completing the original intention of a party wall and a roof continuous between the properties.

Clearly we need a party wall agreement.  I’m confident of being able to knock one up once I’ve spoken with our neighbours to have a discussion to clear the way for the formal process.

I’ve mentioned building a porch to the husband next door several times over the last few years and he’s raised no issues.  However, I fear his wife may cut up rough over this.  Unfortunately, as the porch was probably built over 12 years ago I fear they may have a claim for adverse possession.  The issue essentially boils down to the party wall, altering their roof tiles over my property and the party wall air brick that my porch will enclose.

Can anyone help with advice before I blunder on, please?

FC73EF5C-2789-4BBD-8B43-48A8B4CDC07A.jpeg

Edited by TinTin

I think you just need to give them plans and ask them to sign a letter similar to Example 2 I believe. Check the latest guide to the PWA.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/preventing-and-resolving-disputes-in-relation-to-party-walls#explanatory-booklet

If they decline you need to decide if you want to get PWA surveyors involved or just ignore the PWA and get on with it.