Correcting a misjudged loft hatch size

climbinggeorge

We specified an opening of 1140x540 for a loft hatch, I think this was a misread of dimensions as nearly everything needs 550 as an opening and after the casing its 540 wide.

I think the options are

- cutting the loft hatch down (not sure how much I've got to work with as not ordered yet)

- getting a made to measure loft hatch (£)
- widening the space

I'm leaning into option 3 but it seems very firmly attached.  We still don't have mains power so it would be me hanging off it with a nail bar or clawhammer to get all 8 out, then I'm also going to have a misshapen hanger that I might need to bash flat.

So before I comment to the percussive improvement choice of option 3 I wanted to see if there were any other suggestions?

On a semi-related note I may see if I can rename my user to Captain Hindsight..

PXL_20211019_112142746_exported_233.jpg

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Angle grinder..

Maybe I'm just over over-cautious; I be nervous about making sparks inside, but have at it with everything else in the tool box.  This why we all keep the knackered chisel and the slightly bent screwdriver ?

Went and bought a small bar to pry the nails out, it was easier than I expected.
Instead of cutting down the existing wood I found a few spare bits and screwed them in, then decided to try and smash the hanger sufficently flat.

It ain't pretty but it should work.  Bearing in mind how much every tiny change from our joiners has cost, I'm very happy with myself

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-23 at 12.01.03.jpeg

• Like 2