Renovation of a '60s bungalow

tjure2k

25 minutes ago, joth said:

Interesting! 

To be fair, it was the PH architect that authored the detail but couldn't back it up with evidence on longevity of the construction. IIRC the detail on our plans didn't mention what base the EPS should be laid on, which would be a lot of the issue.  Either way I can see this would be easier done on a new build than a retrofit around existing founds, as ours was.

Thanks

The last lot of EWI people I interacted with (good, long established, local company) said that they had only ever done ONE skirt insulation (not the wing insulation) in a retrofit, and that that was for an enthusiast in a wealthy area (West Bridgford).

And he thought they were a bit loopy ? .

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

The last lot of EWI people I interacted with (good, long established, local company) said that they had only ever done ONE skirt insulation (not the wing insulation) in a retrofit, and that that was for an enthusiast in a wealthy area (West Bridgford).

And he thought they were a bit loopy ? .

Hahaha thanks!

Yes we did the skirt insulation, and that received enough grumbling on its own. 

I can see how the wing insulation is helpful on a new build in  areas of 'merica where it can be below freezing for months at a time and ground frost is a real issue, but here in Herts the 30 day average never drops below 5ºC, so does feel like it'd be diminishing returns. We're not in an exposed location either.

Edited by joth

34 minutes ago, joth said:

Hahaha thanks!

Yes we did the skirt insulation, and that received enough grumbling on its own. 

I can see how the wing insulation is helpful on a new build in  areas of 'merica where it can be below freezing for months at a time, but here in Herts the 30 day average never drops below 5ºC, so does feel like it'd be diminishing returns.

I've always viewed wing insulation as an alternative to skirt insulation where the latter was difficult.

I think the modern Autonomous House man (with the circulating pipes drilled beneath his basement for an attempt at seasonal storage) who was off grid in suburban England may have had wing insulation, but I think they moved to the Islands to something slightly less autonomous, and slightly less hard work for oldsters. But that is dragged out of my memory so could be BS.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

I've always viewed wing insulation as an alternative to skirt insulation where the latter was difficult.

How deep would that then be below the surface? If only superficial depth then it would be liable to being disrupted / damaged if any work is ever done above it (e.g. changing patio slabs) or if there a  french drain around the wall, it would need some provision to drain passed the wing. I think these were also the sort of concerns our builder had. ISTM the deeper the wing is, the more protected it is from disturbance over the long term. But also, that only makes sense if combined with the skirt.

Still, whatever, we didn't do it so it's all academic for me ? 

54 minutes ago, joth said:

How deep would that then be below the surface? If only superficial depth then it would be liable to being disrupted / damaged if any work is ever done above it (e.g. changing patio slabs) or if there a  french drain around the wall, it would need some provision to drain passed the wing. I think these were also the sort of concerns our builder had. ISTM the deeper the wing is, the more protected it is from disturbance over the long term. But also, that only makes sense if combined with the skirt.

Still, whatever, we didn't do it so it's all academic for me ? 

I  think my answer to that is "deep enough", as it depends on the circs.