Hi Everyone. Help with Earthworm Control Needed

BDL2

I’ve got a clay paver patio that’s been down for about 30 years. I’ve jet washed it, replaced the odd damaged block and remanded with kiln dried sand.  Next summer I plan to do another quick wash and sand before applying a flexible resin sealer to fix the sand and prevent weed growth.

However I’ve got loads of worm casts all over the patio.  The gaps are a minimum of 2mm as all the blocks have spacers cast on the sides, up to 6 or 8mm where the blocks have moved over the years.  If I sweep it off they are all back the next morning.

ideally I would like to bring the worms to the surface so I can catch them and move them down the garden.  Alternatively apply something to deter them from coming up through the sand.  The final solution unfortunately would have to be to apply something to poison them.

Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Brian

203166EF-7803-434A-8A65-714BE2F62BCD.jpeg

9E3F13BF-ADEF-41A6-8CB5-C5DCF047E352.jpeg

F869E846-B251-4611-B385-D936819A7EF4.jpeg

0B141CEF-6B66-4E4D-8F32-8734CF2EECD6.jpeg

Worms are good for the soil and ecosystem etc. I'd be loathe to "kill" them deliberately

I'd get 5L of white vinegar, dilute it and spray the patio with it. Worms don't like acidic soils particularly.

There are nuclear options but I'm not going to recommend them.

33 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

soapy water is the old angler's trick to bring them up

When I was at school I remember doing a biology lesson where we had to count the number of worms in the school field. We did it by using a mixture of fairly liquid and water. I think the ratio was something like two drops of fairy per litre of water. It worked a treat.

22 minutes ago, BDL2 said:

I’ve tried the fairy liquid in water. Put on 3 lots yesterday afternoon.  No worms came onto the surface, but there were a load more worm casts this morning but still no worms?

Bar some genetic mutation that makes them resistant to Fairy liquid,  it's not worms that are causing your casts.