Constructing a first floor in a barn.

Curious

This barn is 17'4" wide on the inside and goes back a depth of 58'

I would like to construct a second floor to double my workspace myself. I have the right tools and Im capable but Im not sure which route to take.

I dont want any supports from below as it will encroach on the ground floor space. Will something like an 8"x2" timer span that or should I be using some steels or an engineered product?

There seems to be room on the top of the blockwork to rest the edges on or at least there is good sold material if and additional supports need fixing to it. The top of the block work is just over 8' high.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be welcome guys.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 13.22.54.png

Edited by Curious

21 minutes ago, Curious said:

barn is 17'4" wide

That would need very deep timbers, but just about works. Someone else may have span tables to hand.

BUT it is unlikely that you can just put them on top of the block wall. The wall has been built for a purpose and that seems to be just to create  an enclosure. So the wall wont be thick enough and there probably isn't a strong enough footing.

Plenty people just do what you are suggesting, and sometimes it works. It is a severe risk to you above and anyone below.

I suggest  a proper design by an expert , planning permission and building control.

You will probably have to thicken the walls, perhaps build new foundations, and put in a stair.

OR build a mezzanine independent of the existing structure,  and that is my suggestion. There are 2 price levels. One will be half the price but you will have 6 columns along the middle of the ground floor. and others along the side walls. The other will only have the side columns. . All on new pad foundations. A mezzanine company can also provide the stair. OR you can buy it in and do it yourself

Planning and regs may still apply 

+1 on the mezzanine, 17ft is a long span for timbers, you could use joists (I beam or Pozi).

sitting on the block work fully is possible, on the edge would be a definite no.

Perimeter channel would be fairly easy to put between columns.

you really need to check the column foundations as these are unlikely to be sufficient to take the additional load of a work or storage space.

cool building tho :)

Edited by markc