All on the original planning permission?

Jonathan1969

I have a quick question I am hoping someone might be able to give me a steer on....

Quick background.

I have bought a plot, from a builder, who is going to build a house on it for me to a design he had made with a few additions and changes from myself.  He has full planning permission and we are about to apply for the building warrant to start the works.

The plans don't have a garage, and I would like to add one.  I could get away with a PD after the house tis completed.  But, I would like to place the garage in front of the front line of the house and also put a room above the garage so I would need planning permission.

I assume I need to add this onto the existing permission (as it is still 'open') and that this would remove any VAT on the build? is this the case?  Can I start a second planning permission whilst the house is being built (I think this is a 'no')

Also.....

1) Can everything else continue to progress whilst I amend the planning permission for the garage?

2) Can I apply myself or should I / must I continue with the architect that designed the house and has been liaising with the planning department?

The PD route would be easier, no doubt.  But the planning route would give us the garage we want in the location we want it.

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated

Jonathan 

2 hours ago, Jonathan1969 said:

I assume I need to add this onto the existing permission (as it is still 'open') and that this would remove any VAT on the build? is this the case?  Can I start a second planning permission whilst the house is being built (I think this is a 'no')

I believe you need house and garage on one Planning Grant for the garage to be zero rated.

It might not be possible to ammend the existing Planning Grant..

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Material_amendment_to_planning_permission

There are three ways that this can be dealt with:

So start with a call to the planners to ask which of the routes is necessary. If they require a new Planning Application then I would make the new application for the house and garage to get it all on one. 

However bear in mind the CIL rules. You can't claim the exemption if any work has been started on site. This may mean a long wait before you can start. You might decide that it's not worth waiting to get the garage zero rated. If the CIL isn't a thing in your area you can start building to the existing PP while waiting for the new one to be approved.

Is your builder supplying materials like bricks and tiles? In which case you won't have to reclaim the VAT on those anyway. The builder will reclaim the VAT on those in his quarterly returns that don't need to be accompanied by a copy of your Planning Grant. It will be down to the builder to correctly charge you VAT on the garage if he remembers to. Perhaps he's not very good at estimating quantities and will have some materials "left over" from the house build. Shame to waste them. If the garage is going to be same brick as the house its a good idea to order all the bricks at once anyway so they match and save delivery (if you can risk them refusing PP for the garage).

• Like 1