Anyone used or knows of TLA

Buzz

One for the companies quoting on installing our UFH has come back to me asking if I would consider using TLA instead of eps for the insulation part , now having no idea what they were talking about gave my usual response of whats that then never heard of it ? Apparently it gives better performance than eps and because I need  2 layers to make up to 175mm would save on labour as its pumped in . 

Very limited info on Google I can make sense of , it appears to be eps beads mixed with concrete, anyone looked into this ? Is it really better than normal EPS .

Is this the stuff they were suggesting? 

https://www.coreprosystems.co.uk/thermal-lightweight-aggregate

https://www.alphaquarryproducts.com/thermal-bead-screed

From what I'm reading you would need a normal screed over it for UFH and you would require twice the thickness of EPS as it's thermal conductivity is about 0.067W/mK rather than graphite EPS at 0.033W/mk. 

What is your current situation. Do you have a concrete subfloor? 

13 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Apparently it gives better performance than eps and because I need  2 layers to make up to 175mm would save on labour as its pumped in . 

I'm a little baffled by this sentence? 

24 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Is it really better than normal EPS

The lowest thermal conductivity for TLA I have found is 0.043W/m.K. Typical values for EPS for floors is around 0.035W/m.K. So you would need 43mm of TLA to give the same insulating effect as 35mm of EPS.

You would need 215mm of TLA to provide the same thermal resistance as 175mm of EPS

Edited by A_L
To add second sentence.

5 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

What is your current situation. Do you have a concrete subfloor? 

Yes its going on top of a block and beam floor , i have 225mm to play with was going for 175 EPS and 50mm flow screed 

I think you'll have to settle for a worse floor U value with thermal screed. 

Even using @A_L's better figures It'll be 0.17 vs 0.26 assuming it still needs a screed above for UFH. 

I like the concept of insulating screeds and pumped insulation in general. No gaps between boards. Perfect fit to the walls. What's the difference price wise? Can you raise the walls by a brick or two to get the same insulation value? 

In any case it's best practice to lay boards in 2 layers, stagger all the joints. EPS is light. Not huge suffering involved in laying it. 

Edited by Iceverge

1 minute ago, A_L said:

The lowest thermal conductivity for TLA I have found is 0.043W/m.K. Typical values for EPS for floors is around 0.035W/m.K. So you would need 43mm of TLA to give the same insulating effect as 35mm of EPS.

Thanks , I was struggling to make sense of his claims and came to the same conclusion,  better then EPS board my ****. Shame because their screed price was very competitive but don't like doing business with people who are less than honest.