Cavity fill below DPC

Omi

Hi,

We have a pair of concrete columns that rise from the foundation to support a steel frame as shown below:

image.thumb.png.ab7f1f0a425721b80ab7dc942925af16.png

I've found that they've been constructed in such a way that it's right up against the outer leaf -- meaning there is no longer a cavity where the columns are:

image.png.b6a8d49e5f5ed47894e5c07e9fbdc70b.png

Is this a big problem? The intended design (shown with dashed line) would have left a 30 mm cavity between the column and the outer leaf.

Given that the columns as constructed are wider than they need to be for the steel frame, should I be looking at grinding away 30 mm of the column to create the cavity?

Edited by Omi

Will be a small heat loss but there always was going to be some through the concrete into the ground. No big extra problem.

There is possibility of damp transfer across cavity but its going to be below DPC isn't it so no issue I think.

I think I would check if I need a DPC/DPM between underside of steel and concrete post? Perhaps not. 

Edited by Temp

22 hours ago, Temp said:

There is possibility of damp transfer across cavity but its going to be below DPC isn't it so no issue I think.

I think my main concern is water running down the inside of the outer leaf which might in this case end up collecting on top of the DPM/column.

22 hours ago, Temp said:

I think I would check if I need a DPC/DPM between underside of steel and concrete post? Perhaps not. 

I imagine it can't hurt?

Gut feeling is that the best course of action is indeed to grind it back a bit to introduce a gap between the outer leaf and the column. While I'm at it, I might also chamfer the edge to help with run off.

28 minutes ago, Omi said:

I think my main concern is water running down the inside of the outer leaf which might in this case end up collecting on top of the DPM/column.

Angle grinder cut a |/ shape into that edge?