Water Authority Workaround...

Our plot is at the end of a 60m shared drive. Our water connection requires a highway closure, so 3-months notice required. I had hoped they would let me do my pipework during the 3 months that I'm waiting for them to come and connect, but alas, no. They want all my pipework in and then 7-working days notice for an inspection before they'll even start the 3-month notice.

We have a lot to do to get the water pipe to the build area, even as a TBS, it's going to really screw our timeline if we can't get cracking with the 3-months notice.

Someone mentioned getting it connected to a TBS installed in the shared drive, just up from the highway boundary. Sounded absurd, but it would really solve my problem, will they do it? In essence, by the time they come in 3 months time, my pipe will be where I want it, but I need them to have something to inspect to kick of the notice period.

Hi @Mulberry View  is there any specific reason you need mains water connection on site to as you put it " get cracking " the house next to mine has only just been connected and they are on second fix we are getting ready for the lintels next week and still no connection date confirmed or inspection has taken place , application was made in June with a desktop survey done and payment from me in July. a lot of the builds round here seem to be using 1 tonne  IBC containers for water until the connection goes on . 

Edited by Buzz

Our water connection supposedly needed a road closure, but the council wouldn't authorise it and told Anglian Water to mole it instead.  We still lost loads of time whilst this was going on, but it might be worth asking if moling is an option to avoid a road closure.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Hi @Mulberry View  is there any specific reason you need mains water connection on site to as you put it " get cracking " the house next to mine has only just been connected and they are on second fix we are getting ready for the lintels next week and still no connection date confirmed or inspection has taken place , application was made in June with a desktop survey done and payment from me in July. a lot of the builds round here seem to be using 1 tonne  IBC containers for water until the connection goes on . 

I withheld a little bit of the story for ease.

Our plot is part of a split. They are actually doing 2 connections at the same time. One for the new build and one to replace the lead water main for the old house. The old house is about to go on the market, we want the new water main done and dusted by the time we exchange contracts on a sale.

The water mains will run in tandem up the shared drive, where they will split off with one heading for the old house and the new build one then has to be moled under some trees to get close to the build area. I have a delay in getting a contractor to work in the shared drive and onwardly another contractor to deal with the moled aspect. All in all, if I am to get all this done before AW will get cracking with their 3-month notice, we will miss the Summer selling season for the old house, and it's the landscaped garden that will sell it, in the Winter it's just not the same!

53 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Our water connection supposedly needed a road closure, but the council wouldn't authorise it and told Anglian Water to mole it instead.  We still lost loads of time whilst this was going on, but it might be worth asking if moling is an option to avoid a road closure.

Our is in the far side of a narrow street. I can't see how moling will help the way it helped you to be honest.

AW are a shower of shit. Their new connections staff all seem brain-dead. If only they had the common sense I have had from UKPN.

7 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

If only they had the common sense 

Tell me about it , they closed the road for 3 days whilst they connected the plot next door ,my pipe, ready to go and paid for was just 10 meters away ?

• Haha 1