Fibaro module advice

At this stage I am basically certain to go down the fibaro Zwave route for any kind of smart lighting in the house.  We have new rewire throughout with deepest switch back boxes available, and I managed to get a Fibaro HC3 for cheap, and a couple of demo modules just to see for size (and have frightened my electrician with how many might need to go in each switch box).

I feel like I have been reading for weeks but can't get my head around what modules I will need for each circuit.  

Generally speaking there are 3 types of lighting circuit in the house:

- multiple LED GU10s on the same circuit (from 2 - 12 spots)

- length of spotless LED strip (from lengths of 2m - 10m)

- length of RGBWW LED strip (from lengths of 2m - 10m)

Some of these circuit variants are 1 way switches, most are 2 way switched, and one is 3 way.

I would want all the GU10 and spotless circuits to be dimmable, and want all the usual scene programming.  What I can't get to grips with as I don't understand circuit diagrams, is which of the fibaro modules will I need for each circuit type (both due to the type of light being used, and the number of switches it has to operate.

My gut is telling me you only need 1 module per circuit and that it can live behind either of the switches in the circuit, at our choice essentially, which would be helpful as means can spread the back modules between switches to make space easier to deal with.  I also feel like I need the fibaro dimmer 2 for the Gu10s, and obviously the RGBW 2 module for the colour change strips.  If those are both sensible, it is then what to do with the spotless strips, i have read using the dimmer2 and also using the rgbw2 modules.  Can anyone offer any advice?  Is the situation more complex or perhaps (hopefully) simpler than I think it is?  I don't want to melt modules or have flickering dimmed lights!

Sincere thanks!

3 hours ago, pocster said:

I use fibaro rgbw2 ‘s ( make sure it’s that version ) for rgbw led control ;no issue .

How do you intend to use these lights ? I.e how are they controlled ? ( wall switch , HA. ? ) 

I plan to create scenes using the HC3 that will be switch driven so have lots of reactive switches, but also have aspirations to have the lighting then linked to HA routines to make it more automated.

• Like 1

I run zwave on openhab, so no specific HC3 advice.

1 module per circuit

Dimmer 2 for 240v (GU10) - vesternet have some useful diagrams for different configurations (e.g. 2 way switching) https://www.vesternet.com/pages/apnt-137-standard-2-way-lighting-circuit-using-fibaro-dimmer-2.

I only run RGBWW strips, but I think the RGBW2 would work fine for both single colour and RGBWW

• Like 1

@elite yes I appreciate a HC isn't essential but didn't want to bite off more than I could chew to begin with, so hoped linking the devices and scenes would be a bit more user frieldy with a HC to begin with, I can always retire it down the line if not needed any more.  I'm a bit disappointed with it anyway given it doesn't support zigbee as advertised when i have already bought some zigbee RGBWW GU10s, means another hub.

Is that is the case with the RGBW2 modules being appropriate for all strips, that is very valuable information as it allows me to go ahead and buy.  Do you expect there to be any caveat to that based on LED strip length?

48 minutes ago, tanneja said:

Is that is the case with the RGBW2 modules being appropriate for all strips, that is very valuable information as it allows me to go ahead and buy.  Do you expect there to be any caveat to that based on LED strip length?

RGBW2s should be good for 144W @ 12v and 288W @ 24v, so if your strips are using less than that you should be good

The manual includes wiring diagrams for both RGBW and one colour strips - I believe you can run 4 single colour strips off 1 module

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tanneja said:

@elite I offer my sincere thanks for giving me the confidence to really look at these manuals.  Just so I am not misreading, it would seem the RGBW2 also supports dimming of both RGBWW and single colour LED strips?

Yes I believe so, as long as your strips are dimmable of course (the vast majority - if not all - are)

• Like 2