Hoist location?

The only point I could put a hoist hook (easily) will have a rope dangling down be only about 85cm from the baluster of the stairs. Will that be sufficient for it to be useful in lifting things like sofas upward? Of course even a small sofa is probably more than (2x85) 1.70w so there's no way it will cleanly be lifted, but (as someone who never really used a hoist) I imagine you can gently push it off-center while navigating obstacles? 

Or?

32 minutes ago, hendriQ said:

How big are your first floor windows? Usually hoisting hooks are sited outside and above the window, so whatever is being lifted and then be brought  easily into the room through the window.

Well that's the point, I could do all of this inside since I have a pretty meaningful hallway ?

Windows are not really outsize but on the large side certainly. But the loft windows are unreachable (pitched) hence internal.

• 1 month later...

Most sofas I see come in sections. Our seven seater came in four sections and bolted together. I can’t think of a stick of furniture that hasn’t gone up the stairs fine including the piano (which came down again 6 months later) and the idea of any bit of furniture dangling from a rope doesn’t feel attractive to me.

21 hours ago, AndrewFitton said:

Most sofas I see come in sections. Our seven seater came in four sections and bolted together. I can’t think of a stick of furniture that hasn’t gone up the stairs fine including the piano (which came down again 6 months later) and the idea of any bit of furniture dangling from a rope doesn’t feel attractive to me.

Fair point, thanks. I guess in Amsterdam, many houses had hoists in particular because the stairs were pretty tiny/cramped.