Whole house refurb and extension - glazing

tommyt11

Hi all,

Starting to investigate glazing for our project. There is approx 45m2 of glass, including a 5.5m slider, front door + side panel, one french door, two other back doors part glazed. Spec is aluminum good quality DG with small sightlines. First quote from Ecohaus (Visiline range, which are Qfort under the hood mostly) is nearly 40k incl 5k of fitting, VAT and a ''discount''. Seems faintly ridiculous to me. There is a 900mm fixed pane round window in the mix which came in at 1.8k! So all up that is 866/m2. Gimme a break. Going from other threads, I should be at the worst looking at sub-600/m2? Thoughts?

Anyway I haven't replied yet. Others I am starting to engage with are Rawingtons (Reynears), Ideal Combi, and Smart Systems via a local supplier. I fear this is going to be a long process, which is just as well as its still early stages, but I want to manage my expectations of glazing cost early doors, as it will be the single most expensive materials item in the job.

Cheers,

Tom

We got Internorm 3G Aluclad units for much less than that. Our quote came down by about £10k through the process. Never accept the first price, there's decent margin in windows. I'd definitely look in to alcu clad uPVC, you'll be able to go to triple glazed and still come out cheaper than all alu units.

What price is your front door? Ours was quoted initially at £6k but came down to £4k with "free" fingerprint scanner smart lock thingy that supposedly costs £700...

C

@Olf Most of the new glass is replacement on the unextended part of the house (incl the slider), and on the sunnier aspects.

@Conor That's interesting, I will look into aluclad uPVC. I had not considered assuming sight lines would be too chunky and not enough improvement from current bog standard white uPVC casements. FYI front door is not so bad at sub-4k off the bat. It's some of the windows (all fairly standard sizes an opening styles) and other external single doors that cumulatively really inflate the total. The big slider is nearly 8k before VAT and the magic discount.

9 hours ago, tommyt11 said:

@Olf Most of the new glass is replacement on the unextended part of the house (incl the slider), and on the sunnier aspects.

@Conor That's interesting, I will look into aluclad uPVC. I had not considered assuming sight lines would be too chunky and not enough improvement from current bog standard white uPVC casements. FYI front door is not so bad at sub-4k off the bat. It's some of the windows (all fairly standard sizes an opening styles) and other external single doors that cumulatively really inflate the total. The big slider is nearly 8k before VAT and the magic discount.

For us the overall performance of the unit was the priority. Ours have quite chunky frames at 65mm or so, but we've gone for tilt and turn and we're packing out the reveals on both inside and outside so you see very little of them.

Our  bi-folds are aluminium and have a narrower profile to the aluclad. It's costing us £12k lol