Grant air source heat pump = Chofu of Japan?

Ommm

My installer has recommended a Grant ASHP over a Mitsubishi 'because it's the better product'.  I've never considered traditional boiler manufacturers for ASHPs - much prefer to go with a known air conditioning vendor who has been doing this for years.

Anyway, I did some digging around and I think the Grant heat pumps are made by Chofu of Japan.  Compare the diagrams from the Grant installation manual:

https://www.grantuk.com/media/3710/grant-aerona-r32-installer-uk-doc-0136-rev-2-0-september-2020.pdf

to those of the Chofu:

https://www.centralheating.co.nz/assets/resources/Chofu-Operating-Installation-Manual-R32.pdf

- they're identical in many cases.

I've not come across Chofu before.  Anyone have any experiences?  Or with Grant themselves, for that matter?

So I'm wondering how much to push for a Mitsubishi.  What would you do?

7 hours ago, Ommm said:

much prefer to go with a known air conditioning vendor who has been doing this for years

Most people have never heard of Carrier but they have been making AC units since the 1950’s and their production dwarfs the numbers made by Mitsubishi. There are plenty of very good units out there and if your installer is the one to install and maintain it then why not go with their suggestion ..?? The issue is always one of parts supply so ask about after sales and maintenance. 

I'm familiar with Carrier - they and the Japanese/Korean big brands are the air con units that we install in the middle east when it's 50C outside, and they keep going for decades.  Many others can't handle it.  Which is why I'm biased towards brands that sell lots of A/C units because they've been in this game a long time.  That's why Chofu puzzles me: I've not come across them (they don't appear to sell a lot internationally) which isn't encouraging, but on the other hand they're not Chinese (which fall apart in middle east conditions).  Lack of volume makes me worry about spares though...

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2021 at 07:25, PeterW said:

Most people have never heard of Carrier but they have been making AC units since the 1950’s and their production dwarfs the numbers made by Mitsubishi. 

So, are you saying that Grant heat pumps use Carrier units?

7 minutes ago, pulhamdown said:

So, are you saying that Grant heat pumps use Carrier units?

no they use Chofu but just because they aren’t a well know brand in the UK doesn’t mean they are sub standard. Grant have a name to maintain - can’t see them partnering with some low budget provider. 

Having done a lot of reading of the service material, I'm actually reasonably impressed with Chofu.  Grant claim to offer a 7 year warranty which is nice too. I think installers like them because they're just like a system or oil boiler install - all the controls are on the outdoor unit, with just a small control cable to a wall mounted keypad inside. I do have some wonders about support though: it looks like Grant would be the only source of parts, and otherwise you're left dealing with Japan. In theory Grant should provide all you need, but sometimes things don't turn out like that...