Internal alterations without building warrant

Recommended Posts

Hi, we have just been informed that owners of the 3rd floor flat (Scotland) we are purchasing, had taken an internal wall down without any building control warrant or input. It’s non load bearing, however, it was a wall between the kitchen and the corridor effectively making the kitchen open plan to the front door.

The front door is the only exit point thus an architect has informed them they must reinstate a wall as the kitchen is a fire risk area and could effectively block the only means of escape. My question is does it have to be a solid fire wall, or could it be a wall with french doors (assume they would have to have E30 glass?) or even a feature glass wall/room divider in a critall style? Any input most welcome cheers

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure of any difference in Scotland but in England just has to comply with fire regs, you can have twin fire doors.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now