Hey there

CalvinHobbes

Glad to have found here,  i have read through a lot of threads and have bookmarked lots of advice already, So we are knocking down 2 semidetached 1950's cottages (structural faults etc) and building 2 separate homes, one with a granny flat - all for family. Put in for planning permission (Northern Ireland) a few weeks ago - it's not up on the planning website yet, serious delays with staff working from home/covid. Architect asked us block or wood frame? Going with former mainly because I detest creaky floor boards so that includes not having a wood staircase. Haven't got construction plans yet, guessing architect is holding off for planning approval? Would love to be starting asap. Living in rented accomodation with 3 generations isn't ideal. This isn't a grand design, money in bank from sale of old house. Hearing horror stories re costs and supply of materials, hope things improve. Serious scandal in Donegal re mica in blocks (houses are crumbling/need tumbled), so between that and grenfell - want to be careful re sourcing things. Would like to put in external shutters (european style) and have a sink in our porch for hand washing. No experience worth in building, was hoping my father would have been here for it - he had plenty.  Anyway, not to be. Hoping builder can act as project manager. Good to meet you all. :) Chris

Edited by CalvinHobbes
  • Like 1