screed depths for UFH

Lee66

I am extending and refurbing a 1960s bungalow. i intend to use electric UFH in bathroom as a back up to a radiator to take chill of tiled floor and in old kitchen, which will become utility and new cloakroom I am looking to continue wet UFH from new Kitchen. I have started removing screed in bathroom which is 50mm approx thick which should be enough to get some insulation in floor before electric mat and tile but how much insulation should i go for, tile is 8mm and what is type is best?

Secondly with only 50mm screed anticipated in old kitchen will i need to try and remove more concrete to accommodation insulation and wet UFH pipes with 15mm tile going on?

50mm screed is plenty thick enough for wet UFH.

As for the bathroom, Electric heating mats work great, tiles can be problematic tho. I have 800mm porcelain tiles and they can curl up a bit if/when the cat decides to cook itself all day/night in one spot. several times i have stubbed my toe on a tile edge or corner only for it to be flush again the next day. In future i would go with smaller tiles. 

• Like 1