Tips on how to decorate. Orange peel.

Sjk

I've been having a bit of a mare with decorating. I'm totally new to it and all the googling in the world doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere. 

The walls are new and had a mist coat which left a slightly textured finish similar to orange peel which you can see up close, now the really pain is where I've had to sand down some bad parts this has gone smooth so you can see the difference very easily. Should I have sanded down after the mist coat? Is that normal?

Edited by Sjk

The mist coat usually behaves like sanding sealer does on wood ... shows up all the imperfections and fluffs the surface up as it soaks in and gives a good key to the surface. Then a light sand before next coat.

P.S. Orange peel is generally caused by too thick a coat being applied at one go.

Edited by markc

1 hour ago, dangti6 said:

What pile is your roller? Might be too deep.

No idea I paid someone to do it. I thought they would use a sprayer but I guess not.

1 hour ago, markc said:

The mist coat usually behaves like sanding sealer does on wood ... shows up all the imperfections and fluffs the surface up as it soaks in and gives a good key to the surface. Then a light sand before next coat.

P.S. Orange peel is generally caused by too thick a coat being applied at one go.

Thanks. I guess a light sand down it is.

Edited by Sjk
  • Like 1