Oak Frame is possible anymore?

Lorenz

Years ago I was thinking of an oak frame and abroad in Europe it was still possible, but here in the UK I saw a build where they did a double frame, so the frame could still be seen.

Do oak frames need to be wrapped or is it still possible to build an exposed oak frame house?

Very difficult to meet air tightness,

We've had a large exposed frame extension and that was the only way I think you'd do it these days.

In retrospect, I'd not do it again for the main structure, a single story room would be nice, the maintenance of it seems to be always ongoing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JFDIY said:

In retrospect, I'd not do it again for the main structure, a single story room would be nice, the maintenance of it seems to be always ongoing.

What maintenance is particularly problematic?

9 hours ago, Lorenz said:

What maintenance is particularly problematic?

Not problematic, just if you want the outside looking fresh it will need cleaning and re-sealing every couple of years, were letting ours steadily go silver for a bit.

The big things for me are make sure you fully understand and are happy with the infill panel system, ours while on the face of it looks good, has suffered from poor detailing, as the oak shrinks (say >3mm across width) the panels need to allow this, ours has broken it's bond and leaves a gap around the panels, which reduces the airtightness. admittedly normally you'd have plastered it sooner (so wouldn't see it), and the plaster would help hold the panel from moving a bit. But I've had to cut out the panels upstairs and re-seat them in the proper place as they were bowing outwards by 5mm.

A neighbor also has a similar frame (by the same supplier), but theirs is 10years older and I noticed their panels were also displaced and by a greater amount.

If you fancy a look round, drop me a message, we're in the midlands

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Lorenz

I've been working in the oak framing industry for the last 15years. 11year with a leading company in this sector.

The majority of oak frames now are wrapped in a encapsulation envelope. But they still do the traditional builds which are alot more work but look the nuts and as you said above what you see inside you can also see outside. Obviously the traditional build comes with alot more problems with water ingress etc. 

The other way people do it is to have the oak frame built, encapsulate it and rather than clad it, have a screen of traditional looking oak on the outet face of the encapsulation panels. This way you get the best of both and piece of mind that if the water gets in it will fall into a "cavity". Obviously Two major factors with this way...1.You need deep pockets and 2.The frame you see inside is different to what you'd see on the outside!

All the best ? 

• Like 1