Warranty - get the questions right ..!

Just a quick heads up to those who need a warranty and are going via a broker - check the broker asks the right questions...! 

As background we purchased the Self Build Zone site insurance and warranty via a broker last year. All seemed fine - we are extending and converting a large double garage - until we tried to get the Building Control elements sorted. The BC company and the warranty company didn't seem to have the same scope as the conversion element was missing despite me being explicit about it and us having insured the existing building so it could be seen that there was something already there ....

I've just spent nearly 2 weeks getting this resolved which included me having to write a report and take photos of the existing building, along with the significant risk that we may face a hike in both warranty premium and inspection costs. This was down to the broker not following the insurers process and not asking the right questions - even looking back on the statement of facts it's pretty clear it was "correct" but when you talk to the insurer direct you find there is a lot behind the quotes that needs to be considered. Some conversion and unusual build elements have to be technically checked by the insurers and this is only triggered if the brokers ask the right questions it seems. 

What has come out of it is that Self Build Zone (which is Sennocke Insurance behind it)  do have some very good people and do understand warranties and insurance ..! They have resolved the issues - not without some challenges and a couple of additional terms - but the way it's been done has been professional throughout. I know they always say you find out how good people are when there is a problem - this is one of those cases ..!

[As a note I have asked Sennocke for their direct contact details for anyone who is interested - and no, I'm getting nothing out of this other than not losing any more hair and one or two less sleepless nights ...]

• Like 2

I can second those thoughts about Sennocke. I have my warranty with them and site insurance. I didn't need site insurance any longer but did want the house and contents insured as it is largely furnished. Other insurers wouldn't cover me until the house had been signed off but Sennocke covered it with unoccupied house and contents insurance which worked out half the price of the site insurance.