25 degree rule

Deejay

I've very roughly worked out how the 25 degree rule will work with our planning application for a replacement dwelling.  The dwelling is L shaped with the gable end of the garage with granny flat over being nearest to the boundary wall at the bottom of our neighbour's garden.  The garage width is 6 m with an apex roof.  Clearly this is not as wide as the house (which is not affected by the 25 degree rule) - does the fact that the garage is only 6 m wide affect how this rule is worked out ie 25 degrees from middle of ground floor window of neighbour's house, measured upwards.  I'm assuming with a narrower obstruction ie garage gable end, there will be less loss of sunshine/light - or have I got that wrong.   I want to do right by my neighbours and would not want to obstruct their light but am trying to work out what height we are allowed.  I should be very grateful if someone could explain this to me.  

I'll try and upload the location plan but this will depend on whether my scanner is working so may be some time.  I wish I was more proficient with technology!  Anyway, thank you for your interest. 

The Planning Officer for the pre-planning application said we had to comply with the 25 degree rule and there is a way of measuring this, which I have roughly done.   This will restrict our garage height considerably and we have to accept this.  However, say one was only building a 2m x 2m square tower for example then the same 25 degree rule would apply but there is nothing to take into account that the "obstruction" causing the light reduction is only 2 m wide.  In our case the garage gable end is 6 m wide with an apex roof, and I wondered if anyone knows whether it says anywhere whether this is taken into account.  

I believe the 45 degree rule is for extensions but I'm not sure whether this, or something similar, would be allowed to be used if the obstruction is of a smaller width.