Inherited UFH which boiler

kelrob12

Hi,

Came across this forum when looking for answers about UFH. Ive tried the gas engineer, heat miser and valliant for answers!

Basically moved into a house that already has UFH (no radiators). So in total about 180m2 of UFH. Looks like new manifold with all heatmiser electrics a UF8 and 8 thermostat in the rooms. We have a hot water tank. Anyway when we moved in the floor didn't seem to get as warm as I would have thought but let it a while. Had boiler serviced and then next week broke! Pump apparently - a Worcester 24i system boiler. 

So we need a new one and the gas engineer isn't sure what wattage. Looking at ecotech 630 - how do we calculate what strength boiler to get based area when we didn't lay the pipes ourselves.(previous owners no idea).

Also looking at upgrading all thermostats to the smart heartmiser, but reading a few threads seems they aren't recommended?

Thanks Kelly

Just look up the spec of the old boiler and get a similar size to that.

There are some misconceptions about UFH.  You say it did not get as warm as you thought it should.  But did it heat the house?

Because UFH heats over such a large area if does not need to get "hot" like a radiator.  It just gets warm.  That is how it is supposed to work.  Depending on how much insulation in the house it might only need to get a few degrees hotter than the room temperature, so barely perceivable as "warm" which a lot of people mistake for "not working"

Wouldn't s new pump in the old boiler be a much cheaper option?

My sister's boiler packed up in Feb, pump failed, plumber got a new pump (or so he thought) the next day, when he removed the old pump it was all sludged up. The new pump was incorrect so he cleaned the old one up and refitted it, no issues since.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Just look up the spec of the old boiler and get a similar size to that.

There are some misconceptions about UFH.  You say it did not get as warm as you thought it should.  But did it heat the house?

Because UFH heats over such a large area if does not need to get "hot" like a radiator.  It just gets warm.  That is how it is supposed to work.  Depending on how much insulation in the house it might only need to get a few degrees hotter than the room temperature, so barely perceivable as "warm" which a lot of people mistake for "not working"

apart from the odd cold spot the house did feel warm yeah, it struggled a bit when it was super cold at the beginning of the year but the house never feel really cold. So maybe it was ok! thanks

2 hours ago, JFDIY said:

Wouldn't s new pump in the old boiler be a much cheaper option?

My sister's boiler packed up in Feb, pump failed, plumber got a new pump (or so he thought) the next day, when he removed the old pump it was all sludged up. The new pump was incorrect so he cleaned the old one up and refitted it, no issues since.

There was something else wrong with it but yeah he said that he could just replace the pump and the other thing but that the boiler is 12 ish years old so not long left. But something I could speak to him about ...

thanks