Anatomy of a gas fire

daiking

The kids had an accident today >:(

And in trying to tidy up the mess, I inadvertently did this damage to the inside of the fireplace

i was surprised how fragile this stuff was as I didn't rub it very hard and took off the top surface. Whatever it is made of, it appears to me no more substantial than black paint fibre notice board o.O

so the question is, is it still safe to use this gas fire?

if not, is the component replaceable?

image.jpeg

Edited by daiking

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Sorry Dai, but you need to be more specific as to what has been damaged mate :/. The pic is quite dark. 

The coals can simply be painted with spray / coal VHT touch up paint like this.

Is any part actually damaged?

The bit that isn't dark :D

The panel on the right hand side inside the fire recess is no longer jet black. The finish just rubbed off revealing the brown fibrous stuff underneath and a bobbled surface.

image.jpeg

Spray some paint on it, ( the one I linked, don't use gloss lol ), and enjoy the rest of your life. 

Try and remove the 'bobbles' without doing any further damage as they may well now create hot-spots and glow if caught by the flames. If the coals are arranged properly, the flames shouldn't really get that far out tbh but they're all different. 

??

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Aka VHT ( very high temp ). ;)

Same stuff you use on stoves and flues etc. 

yep, exactly, in a rattle can, only a couple of quid too, so a really simple fix.

just happy to hear a proper professional tell me i havent done something bad,  :)

although we dont have the fire now anyway.

I’m pretty sure it’s a Flavel Windsor

http://www.flavelfires.co.uk/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/f/l/flavel_windsor_installation_user_manual_b-67170-11_2.pdf

They do list these panels as individual spares. https://www.dhsspares.co.uk/catalogue/appliance/item/flavel-windsor-classic-black-fla240/page/2

At least I now know they are described as fibre board panels.

The children knocked over a fragranced oil diffuser which managed to splash oil over the fire (wasn’t on ) and that’s what I was trying to clean up when I rubbed the panel too robustly. Its going to be ‘interesting’ the next time I use the fire. (don’t worry, reasonable precautions will be taken – Fireman Sam on speed dial etc. )