peeling paint - does it need sealing before lining paper/painting/wallpapering?

TryC

Hi All!

I would appreciate some advice please.

I'm currently prepping one room for decorating. It is currently painted and since it is peeling off - I assume it was not sealed before being painted! Also, the person who had the room had a guest that always kept the door and windows closed and ate in there etc. - no fresh air, so some of the room developed damp or mould patches. It grew onto the paint and once the furniture was moved, you could see it growing through. So, I found out it was peelable when I was trying to remove these damp/mould patches. The pain just peeled off with some relative ease - some areas more than others.

I attempted to peel most of it away, so my questions are 1) it is not new plaster, but would it be an idea to seal it anyway? (the areas were the paint has peeled off) before lining it - which will then either be papered or painted 2) do I need to wash the areas with some sort of mould/damp killer, where the mould/damp was growing as I can see stains of it on the old wall/plaster - but ever so slightly 3) do i attempt to peel away as much of the paint as I can or just peel away the affected mould/damp areas?

Prior to being painted - it had been wallpapered - wallpaper removed, then painted.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have attached a photo.

Screenshot_20210424-132848_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5485bfcef427d67c5ffac19a1fc39751.jpg

I would remove everything back to plaster, looks like there might be some wallpaper paste residues left, these will cause peeling and can be hygroscopic.

once all cleaned off wash with sugar soap twice then clean water then hot clean wet cloth - allow to dry and redecorate, 

On 25/04/2021 at 07:48, tonyshouse said:

I would remove everything back to plaster, looks like there might be some wallpaper paste residues left, these will cause peeling and can be hygroscopic.

once all cleaned off wash with sugar soap twice then clean water then hot clean wet cloth - allow to dry and redecorate, 

Thanks!

Would the dark yellow parts be the residual wallpaper paste you mention?

sugar soap from asda OK? do I need to seal it once cleaned?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

On 26/04/2021 at 17:49, tonyshouse said:

Ok and yes to seal first, I use pva but some don’t like that.

Thanks!

I'm just going to dilute down some of the sealer/primer I already have and use that :) didn't think I would have a lot of it left over with it being a small tub!