Western red cedar cladding

lizzie

I have decided on Western Red Cedar. I like the Russwood Architect Select RW115 profile for a vertical clad and am interested in their Sioo coating.  I saw some old threads about this and using it with larch but has anyone tried it with WRC. I have a few bits outside 'weathering' but as I only did them last week and I will need to clad around May this year I doubt I will get any sort of result on my samples before I need to order.

I am only cladding the west and east elevations North and South will be rendered.

Thanks in advance

Hi Lizzie. Somewhere I have seen a research article / presentation that shows a timeline of weathering for a variety of woods. There is a guy called Ivor Davis who is a bit of guru and has published widely. It is sometimes a bit heavy but you get both barrels - try here as a start: http://www.woodknowledgewales.co.uk/files/Cladding Design Performance and Installation - Presentation by Ivor Davies 2012.pdf 

Found this picture here.

Edited by MikeSharp01
Added image and link to image.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Hi Lizzie. Somewhere I have seen a research article / presentation that shows a timeline of weathering for a variety of woods. There is a guy called Ivor Davis who is a bit of guru and has published widely. It is sometimes a bit heavy but you get both barrels - try here as a start: http://www.woodknowledgewales.co.uk/files/Cladding Design Performance and Installation - Presentation by Ivor Davies 2012.pdf 

Wow that scared me! So many things to think about with cladding, glad we are building single storey!

Thank you.

22 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

Hi Lizzie, 

I'm looking to buy my WRC very soon as many timber merchants are now (if not already) raising their prices due to the post-Brexit world and poor Canadian dollar:GBP forex. Prices up by as much as 25-30%! So buy quick, if you can.

Thanks for the tip!