How easy is it to break up a main contract?

Hi, 

We've no experience building and so were planning on going down the main contract route so there is one person ultimately responsible for the whole thing. 

However, we've now had a detailed quote through from one contractor and it is significantly more than expected - for instance the demolition element is 8-12k more than a separate demolition contract price we received. 

We don't have the experience or time to do loads of separate contracts and tender out lots of different bits of work, but is there an easy way to split out bits of the contract to drive down the price significantly. 

Separate demo contract is clearly a winner given the saving, but I'm wondering if worth eg doing groundwork contract separately? I guess then you could have a contract for the main structure (and windows), then the fit out separately which would involve joinery, plumbing, electricians etc which all sounds an awful lot of work to coordinate and manage, which I'm concerned we don't have the time or experience for, but are there any other easy wins for elements that could be separated out to drive costs down?

When people don't go down the main contract route do you split the contract into all these separate elements? 

Any experience or thoughts welcome! 

It’s very easy for both sides to break a contract 

If one approaches the other and simply states I’m running out of funds There’s very little point carrying on 

If you go down the route of individual subies As many have done one here Its unlikely that any will sign a contract Or have the funds to back it up 

If you go down a main contractor route It wouldn’t be unreasonable for you to bring in a demolition contractor Then a groundwork’s company and have the builder take over from there 

Your best way to protect yourself and the contractors Is to agree stage payments and stick to them 

Then at least your paying for work done or materials that are on your property 

• Like 1