Vaulted Hipped Roof

BradBoy

Evening All,

We are currently up to plate level on our single storey extension, but now have some issues with the roof design that I am looking for some advice on.

We are having a vaulted hipped roof with sky lights. The structural engineer has said that we need to have a steel ridge beam on to a steel crank beam, which is fine, but the issue we have is that the depth of the crank beam is different to the hip beams and the rafters, that leads us to belive that the crank beam maybe exposed in the living area, which we dont want. how do we get around this issue?

Roof.PNG

@BradBoy The designer has already picked up on this - note to the bottom right states to alter the rafter depth to hide the Beam 2 - its minimum depth on the plan, not the actual. 

I would install the steels and then look at the rafters - you could go with 47x195 but tbh I would go with 47x220 and allow for an insulation layer around the steel and lose the potential cold bridging. The hips are already 225mm so you may need to pack the bottoms with battens if you run everything flush to the tops.