New floor in kitchen

Jase

Hi all I have posted about this b4 but now I'm that bit closer to start about putting in the new floor in the kitchen of our victorian house, had a builder in to finish taking down the old chimmney fire place in the kitchen due to shocking brickwork behind, looks like when next door did the same at some point in history the builder must have broken through to the back of our chimmney breast and when making good just chucked what ever was to hand. The problem lies were part of the wall is single brick ,I've got to do the digging out myself and lay the floor due to basically running out of money. Any advice would be  greatly received about precautions to take how deep the foundations might be?  The builder suggested to do a exploratory hole to see how deep the part wall foundations are. When the building inspector came last year to sign off a steel we had done i asked his advice about the floor  as he used to be a builder, he suggested if memory serves 150 mm to 200mm hard core the 50 mm sand 100mm insulation then 100 or 150mm concrete but this seems to me that I will be well under the foundations of this old House? Any advice would be great regards jason. 

20210310_121058.jpg

20210409_165131.jpg

20210409_165238.jpg

20210409_165224.jpg

20210310_103236.jpg

1 hour ago, Jase said:

When the building inspector came last year to sign off a steel we had done i asked his advice about the floor  as he used to be a builder, he suggested if memory serves 150 mm to 200mm hard core the 50 mm sand 100mm insulation then 100 or 150mm concrete but this seems to me that I will be well under the foundations of this old House? Any advice would be great

I think the thinnest concrete floor you might get away with would be..

60mm reinforced screed

80mm Insulation (check u-value is ok with BCO)

DPM sheet

25mm sand blind

100mm compacted hardcore.

However you would need to do a good job of levelling and compacting the ground and hardcore with a vibrating wacker plate. Do it in several layers.

See what others say. Some may suggest a bit thinner screed or more hardcore.

• Thanks 1

Depends on the test hole dug really. Going to hire a electric wacker plate due to the fumes,was considering to steel mesh the concrete just to be on the safe side don't want any cracking or movement once the finished tiles are on the floor? I need to look into the regs regarding old buildings insurance guess or give the inspector a bell,as he seems a reasonable bloke,but thanks for you reply, regards jason.