Log cabin

Speedy

Hi I’m new to this site and would like some advise. 

due to our nativity we built a log cabin down the end of the garden but building control have told us that we have reduce the size because as we are not 1 meter from boundary edge.  We have spoken to several builders and they have said we should be able to clad the cabin in fire retardant board, rather than take it down and reduce the size. This would be much easier for us, has anyone else come across this problem and what was your out come.  Would appreciate any suggestions on this. 

How many m2 is the building? If it is under 15m2 you don't need to fire proof it and can have it right on the boundary.... only as long as it is under 2.5m in height. 

If it is under over 15m2 and under 30m2 you can still have it right on the boundary and the roof height can be higher - but it has to be built with none combustible materials. 

Welcome to the forum.

The example they use here is of a garage but same rules apply to your outbuilding..

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

Building a detached garage of less than 30 square metres floor area would not normally need building regulations approval if:

* the floor area of the detached garage is less than 15 square metres.

* the floor area of the garage is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, provided the garage is at least one metre from any boundary, or it is constructed substantially of non-combustible materials.

So how big is yours? 

Cladding the side facing the boundary in fire retardant board might be acceptable to the BCO but you will need to discuss with him exactly what he requires. Try and keep on his good side because they have some discretion to bend the rules. Sadly he may or may not be willing to discuss it with you until you pay a fee. 

The building you have constructed is subject to B Regs, you have two options either to make it exempt, or apply for retrospective approval and make it comply.
I'm assuming you are between 15-30sqm and the construction is not "substantially non combustible" and within 1m of the boundary.  There is no legal definition of what precisely constitutes "substantially non combustible".  You can either alter the building or move the building to make it exempt, it has been suggested that cladding the boundary elevation may make it exempt, however if the building is a timber supporting frame I would not accept this as being exempt.
Alternatively you can apply for a Regularisation Certificate (retrospective approval), though this will mean upgrading the boundary elevation to be 30min fire resistant from both sides and any external timber will need to be treated with intumescent coating to reduce the surface spread of flame or replaced with a different material, you will also need to satisfy B Control it complies with all other applicable regs,

Just to add to what I was saying about BCO having some discretion... ours allowed us to put our oil tank between a timber clad garage and the boundary fence. Both less than a foot away. Mostly because the neighbour had done the same on his side. Definitly not according to the regs as our boiler service engineer points out every other year.

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

Just to add to what I was saying about BCO having some discretion... ours allowed us to put our oil tank between a timber clad garage and the boundary fence. Both less than a foot away. Mostly because the neighbour had done the same on his side. Definitly not according to the regs as our boiler service engineer points out every other year.

Personally I wouldn't just accept the elevation being reclad, I would still be of the opinion that it is not "substantially non combustible", this was also the policy of the last 3 LA's I've worked.