Bifold Stand alone door?

puntloos

Bifolds typically have a function, where the bifold is closed but one panel acts as a normal door.

My question: can you choose to have the 'normal door in the corner closest to the hinge?

Detail:

The best way to hide my bifold panels out of the way are external, next to the side room:S57-bifold-left.thumb.jpg.7b882f277d4f12a196d4454383c69654.jpg

Obviously(?) the rightmost panel in the above picture is attached to the side frame.

But, I'd ideally want the "single door mode" to be also in that corner, like so: (picture is a bit meh, but you get the idea - where the panel in the corner is the 'real door')

s57-bifold-ideal.thumb.jpg.143ce69d1c212cad40d12e6a6c1e98e2.jpg

Can bifolds do this? Can the door fold into the corner on a sunny day, but can the small-door-mode also be in that same corner?

5 hours ago, Gav_P said:

I’ve never seen that before... it would have to have a frame within a frame so would be really chunky I would think and then look crap. 

I think I understand what you mean, however this:

s57-bifold-ideal2.thumb.jpg.3cd9ecd3b0f2658c5f2f15625f62e37c.jpg

Would be fine too for me (slightly less ideal, yes).. in which case I think/assume you'd just need a lock that can release on both ends of the bifold.. 

- The (in this picture) left lock to the left frame would release and you can fold all panels against the corner

- The (in this picture) right lock to the right frame would be the door-mode lock with a handle (presumably with the left lock in place, and the hinge between the left 2 panels locked straight..

I think it could work.....

To put it differently:

- A standard bifold setup has one panel that's attached to the side wall with a standard hinge, and one panel that can lock to the wall (when the bifold is fully closed) but is able to open, and "be a door".

- Puntloos bifold setup would have "door panels" on both ends. 

Other than cost I see no major downsides..... 

Edited by puntloos

I think that would easily be physically possible... I think the hinge side of my bifolds (short 3 panel) could easily be a slide side. 

No idea if there is a locking or security issue, or whether anyone would make it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Conor said:

You can with solarlux doors. We were in a show room where you could open a single leaf at either end and the other leafs could unpin and slide independently.

They were however, £15k for 5m opening...

At least good to know it's possible. Yeah I can certainly imagine that it is fairly straightforward for a company to mix-and-match the types of panels delivered, where all the hinges are identical, so all you need to do is supply two "end leaves" and one normal leaf (assuming 3 panels) instead of just one end leaf and 2 normal leaves.