Fanless Poe switch

So my eBay cheapy netgear 48 port poe switch does the job. But ( as mentioned in a previous thread ) is noisy even though i replaced all 4 fans. (f16 take off!!!)

I'm looking at maybe 

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/38330-netgear-gs316pp-100eus/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1eXC663O7gIVSYBQBh2dTAoCEAQYASABEgJF1fD_BwE

Only 16 ports but I can daisy chain them to add ports. Not sure if this is a good approach?. I need to also ( due to space ) wall mount flat against the wall.

So potentially I could end up with 4 or more of these!

Don't really want to spend 3k on some Cisco wonder that achieves 48 ports, poe and fanless!!! 

Guessing I can get away with an unmanaged switch. Don't need anything fancy. Low poe budget per port. Fanless was the real issue!

Any advice welcome.

Switch stacking is the normal way to do it. Use 16 or 24 port switches and build the stack. You can get fanless PoE switches but limited to about 90w normally. Also check if your end components need PoE or PoE+ which has a higher power requirement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is difficult/ can't be bothered to work out what's poe and what isn't.

So; I ordered 2 of the fanless poe switches ( giving me 32 poe ports ) and a cheap 16 port non managed poe switch.

I'll swap over to that. Everything is labelled so *in theory* I can see what needs to be poe and what doesn't. I use poe for most things though. All sensors for example, ip cameras .

I'll report back on these fanless poe switches once I have them. Next time I'm down there I'll measure the db off the netgear switch! 

Edited by pocster
too much wine already!

I have the slightly cheaper lower powered one. Much quieter than the switch it replaced.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/38329-netgear-gs316p-100eus/

Replaced a much more expensive Ubiquiti one which blew after only about two years and didn't have a separate power supply. Apparently a regular fault.

It is smaller and quieter and cheaper than the Ubiquiti one and has a separate PSU.

I have a 24 port non PoE and 16 port PoE switch. Non PoE switches are a lot cheaper if you can figure out what doesn't need powered. No issue spreading things across more than one switch.

Edited by AliG
  • Thanks 1