Size Paranoia...

On 31/01/2021 at 17:44, Russell griffiths said:

To get to our finished size we both walked around our current house with a pen and paper and a tape measure, we didn’t talk about our thoughts just walked about jotting down the sizes that we thought rooms needed to be. 

The boot room needed another 1.5m in the width, but we could trim 0.5 from the main bath, we then had a chin wag about it and added it all up, in total we came out at 180m of living with 40m of garage attached, none of our rooms are big, just nice and usable. 

I think yours is a bit tight.  

Are your plans on here somewhere? Would be good to see.

We've had ours fettled today, think we've nailed it. 170m2 plus the 24m2 carport. Seems to pretty much tick all our boxes.

Our aim out of this is a stunning but modest home that we can hopefully finish without needing a mortgage. If we overkill the size, we'll be paying for it every month, which for 2 of us will be a regret I'm sure!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mulberry View said:

Our aim out of this is a stunning but modest home that we can hopefully finish without needing a mortgage

Sorry if you know this but it can be very hard to get a mortgage on an unfinished house. You might want to consider applying for a mortgage at the outset and pay it off if you dont need it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Sorry if you know this but it can be very hard to get a mortgage on an unfinished house. You might want to consider applying for a mortgage at the outset and pay it off if you dont need it. 

Good tip. Hopefully when we get into the budgeting phase, we can know a bit closer. If it looks like we might be only a few grand out, we could look at a variety of ways to fund that.

So, here is the latest incarnation of our design. For clarity, this is correctly orientated for true North.

***I can't get the uploader to work, I'll add these shortly***

The Ground Floor has been jiggled around to give us the ability to enter the house from the garden via the covered seating area to the West and into the Utility Room, which we're happier with.

Of course neither downstairs Bedroom is technically ensuite, but are in close proximity to the Shower Room.

Our Architect had really wanted to position the front door to give a long view through the Kitchen, but the RPA's of the trees just didn't allow it. It was only once we saw the plan that included the RPA's that we really realised, the plans you see here don't do it justice. A couple of non important trees have disappeared from this latest revision as they were just confusing things.

We have altered the division between the Living Room and Kitchen. We are undecided whether we will keep with an Island or just fit a midi height cabinet run into a peninsula format between the 2 rooms, to a height of around 1.7m.

Upstairs hasn't changed much, the Bedroom sizing has been changed slightly to make it a Double with ensuite WC.

We've increased the size of the void over the hall, this isn't shown on this plan. We're very pleased with the overall look of the design, I know it's not perfect from an energy efficiency standpoint, but hoping we can spec the fabric high to give us the best chance.

My ongoing concern is with the size of the Living Room and Kitchen/Dining Room. The total room size this area is 9.3x5.3m. We currently have the living room at 4.0x5.3m and the remaining 5.0x5.3 for the Kitchen/Dining. We cannot increase this any further within the parameter of this design, but I am a little nervous that it might be a little small. Should I be?

Edited by Mulberry View