Timber Cladding

learner

Hi experts

I am about to start my first home extension project.

I live in a conservation area but house is not listed.

It is currently clad in white plastic shiplap...AWFUL.

Originally the council said to be in keeping they would only except horizontal shiplap in white painted timber.

I want vertical red cedar cladding and after a lot of fussing i think the council will allow vertical shiplap preferably painted white.

My question is whether there is a shiplap product that only has a small amount of the scollop visible so it can be officially ship lap but look like contemporary vertical timber cladding.

I plan not to paint it but oil it as the word preferably is not a definite.

Any advice on vertical natural look timber cladding and getting around the council BS is welcome.

Many thanks 

Edited by learner

What do the planning drawings say?

I’m in agreement by the way, they can prefer what they like but what’s written in black in white and what’s passed is a different matter.

it could be the preference of one planning officer, not the dept.

10 hours ago, learner said:

My question is whether there is a shiplap product that only has a small amount of the scollop visible so it can be officially ship lap but look like contemporary vertical timber cladding.

That depends on the company supplying the cladding. Some companies can machine you up a bespoke profile. I used CedarDirect for my cladding and they did that for me.

Here's a link to their main profiles page: https://www.cedardirect.co.uk/profiles/

Thanks for answers.

I miss read the email and the will only allow Horizontal.

I have sent them photos of Vertical cladding on 3 buildings near me so surely there is a president for it.

The guy doing my cad drawing seems to want me to just say yes to them for an easy life.

Is there a procedure to contest the council decision.

The house is clad in plastic so looks like an office or public toilet, lovely timber cladding will only improve it, vert or horiz.