Quandary: Timber frame or masonry cavity wall

Moonshine

1 minute ago, Trw144 said:

Upstairs is timber clad so TF, PIR and cedar. Downstairs is render on cement board and I think this adds that bit of extra mass so it isn't an issue.

It will be the PIR, great for thermal insulation, not good for acoustic insulation as it's not porous. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a provisional price back on timber frame  - £85k (for a wall U-value of 0.15). Need to try and calculate what this would be if we were to go for block and block, and decide if the differences is worth it.

Edited by Trw144

2 hours ago, Trw144 said:

Just had a provisional price back on timber frame  - £85k (for a wall U-value of 0.15). Need to try and calculate what this would be if we were to go for block and block, and decide if the differences is worth it.

I am in exactly the same boat, it is decision time which way i go.

I have been looking at quotes i got in December 2019 for 167m2 of ground and first floor with a flat roof

Quote was £38.5k for a wall U-value of 0.17, cost not including block work external skin. I am wonderings what it would be now.

25 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I am in exactly the same boat, it is decision time which way i go.

I have been looking at quotes i got in December 2019 for 167m2 of ground and first floor with a flat roof

Quote was £38.5k for a wall U-value of 0.17, cost not including block work external skin. I am wonderings what it would be now.

Difficult isn't it - I cant help but feel £80k buys a lot of block work, (obviously still need to sort roofs - flat and a vaulted gable). Prices have jumped up it seems - not exactly apples and apples but I paid £45k for the frame in our current house 4 years ago (300m2), where as I'm now looking at £85k for 400m2.

Edited by Trw144