How can I join a concrete slab to a suspended floor?

carlosdeanos

Hello, I have a concrete slab floor in an extension. Top layer is concrete, so the insulation is underneath. Original plan was to screed and put heating pipes in to bring the floor up to existing floor height.

Now, I have left about 100mm to get the concrete up to existing, more than i hoped. Building control have also told me screed is a tough one to DIY. I asked if i could run joists on the concrete (as its damp proof) then board over, (I would insulate between and put my pipes in there) but they didnt like the idea. They suggested i use poly floor sheets to bring it up, then undefloor heating board (With the pipe runs built in) to match existing floor boards height . Do you think this is the best soution or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks very much.

Picture to help -

FloorForBuildHub.PNG

1 minute ago, carlosdeanos said:

Seems to be concrete there.

If so then can't you remove the joists and increase the height with EPS/PIR to match whatever the extension is going to be. Then run the UFH over the whole area.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

If so then can't you remove the joists and increase the height with EPS/PIR to match whatever the extension is going to be. Then run the UFH over the whole area.

Thats a good shout. I think it will need damp proofing but i guess thats just a DPM layer then. I will have a look - thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlosdeanos said:

Now, I have left about 100mm to get the concrete up to existing, more than i hoped.

Is it the area with the chair on?

A layer of 25mm or 40mm insulation then clip your pipes to it and screed to finish level. Get someone in to either liquid or traditional screed, you'll be glad you got someone else to do it once you price the cost of materials.

As others have said match the other area with insulation

• Thanks 1