Tiled Floor thickness with electric UFH mat and decoupling layer.

Triassic

I’m starting installing the bathroom very soon. I’m installing 10mm thick tiles over an electric under floor heating mat and a decoupling layer. Ideally I’d like to set the shower tray low enough for a lip free transition from the surface of the finished tiles. Can anyone suggest how thick the UFH mat, decoupling layer and adhesive is likely to be?

I did this and the buildup came to about 25mm which was miraculously the same depth as the low profile tray I used.

Build up was was 6mm insulated tile backer board, UFH heating wire, latex levelling compound, adhesive & porcelain tiles.

You have some discretion with the adhesive and latex to increase the thickness - if you're going for a wet-room style then you'll need to think on tanking the floor, you can't rely on the grout to prevent water getting past the tiles (same goes for shower walls).

Think also about the flooring immediately outside the bathroom. We have engineered wood floors which would have come up below the tile edge, so the fitter built a little ramp with latex on the bathroom threshold so everything came up flush - used a stainless steel T bar to fill the gap.