Hello again from Edinburgh

Rossek9

Hi all,

First off I would like to say a big thank you to everyone that managed to get this off the ground.

Ebuild was such a wealth of information and I (like most I'm sure)  was saddened to hear off its closure.

Anyway, we are in the planning stages of our build on the outskirts of edinburgh and all being well hoping to start early 2017.

many thanks

Ross

• Like 2

Hi Alistair,

I say Edinburgh but the plot is actually nearer Linlithgow. Our offer to buy is subject to planning so not actually ours yet.

We just sold our house in Chesser, not far from you and have moved into a flat in Dalry that a family member owns (bit of a shock moving back into a flat!!)

I know Colinton well as I grew up not far from there, its a lovely area. We actually put an offer in for a bungalow in Craiglockhart last year but didnt get it so made the decission to start looking further afield.

Would love to get a look round your build sometime to put my mind at ease.............I have renovated a few properties but this is a whole different ball game!!

Thanks

Ross

• Like 1

You're even closer to me at the moment, I am in Greenbank Village.

Good luck with planning. I didn't really enjoy that part as it wasn't in my control.

I used to have a good friend who stayed in Torphichen so I know the area you're looking at.

It is pretty much impossible to get plots to build on in Edinburgh, at least at a reasonable price. Most that I see, you'd struggle to buy and build a house for less than it is worth, so it becomes a lifestyle decision. In the end I bought a house that I am knocking down. In the two years since I bought it I haven't seen a single plot or house for sale in Edinburgh that would allow me to do the same thing.

You're welcome to have a look around once they actually manage to get something off the ground. I am hoping to be watertight by Christmas, but its getting tight now. I would fancy working on a roof in January and February in Edinburgh. You'd get blown away.

Thanks Alistair, the planning has been a bit of a saga so far but im hoping to have it all ironed out in the next month or two.

You certainly are not wrong about finding a plot in the city, we have been looking for years as well and anything that is a reasonable size was +£400k.

I did look into buying something with the aim of knocking down but even that sadly was outwith our budget in an area of the city we would want to stay.

What would be great if you dont mind, I would be hoping to be fairly well sorted by christmas with regards to contractors, build method ect but never the less would be helpful to run some questions past you.