Simple wiring advice needed

NeilScotland

Hello,

Ive built a small cove /wall - and I’d like to place the wiring for my lights before the electrician comes and wires things up. And! Primarily to allow me to get on with my plasterboard work. 

Below is my wiring diagram, and I just wanted to check if this was ok and ask a few questions.

it’s some simple ikea lights (Leptiter) that take a mains supply. The supply will come from an electrical socket nearby (electrician told me this was how he would do it).

Then a switch to isolate it is built into the unit /wall. 

Can I simply buy some lighting flex and wire to each of my lights, then take this to the switch outlet (switch isn’t installed yet! Just the hole drilled).

Then, when sparky comes, he will terminate /join everything at the switch?

Also, what cable should I buy? I notice he extended a light fitting we have elsewhere with a more flexible, 1.8mm cable (with an earth). but I think all the mains supplied lights in The house use a more rigid, 2.5mm cable.....

Any help greatly appreciated. We are in he Netherlands, so things are slightly different in that they tend to use /run separate cables for N, L etc..... 

thanks,

Neil 

AB349391-B0B4-43D9-A6DC-404EACA45D54.png

Use a 3 core cable the same size as the rest of the lighting in the property.

take 1 cable from the isolation switch position, if this was the uk you would use a fused switched spur to allow you to switch and fuse it down to the first light, and then from the first light to the second light and so on.

• Thanks 1

+1 to having;

Existing socket > unswitched double pole fused isolation unit ( 13a DP fused spur ) with a 3 amp fuse replacing the factory fitted 13a one. Use 2.5mm2 Twin  and Earth cable 6242Y for this.

I'd have that where it was out of sight as they're a bit ugly tbh.

Then I'd go from the low level spur ( next to socket ideally )  to a normal light switch ( then you can pick and choose to get one to match existing accessories ). Use 1.0mm2 T&E for that.

Then from the switch to the lights in 3-core 1.0mm2 flexible cable or 1.0mm2 T&E, whichever easier. It is probably easier to run 2 bits of cable, eg one from the light switch to each of the lights so you only have to make one cable off in each light, rather that daisy chain through the first and then on to the second light ;).

If we don't hear from you again, we'll assume it didn't go well and deny any knowledge of your existence :D     

Edited by Nickfromwales