Ceiling joist metal hangers, do they cause dumps in plasterboard?

epsilonGreedy

My roof design includes many metal joist hangers due to the hipped roof shape. This week's task is to fill in the hip corners with ceiling joists and this requires adding metal hangers to the non wallplate end of the infill joists.

The concern I have is with the fitted height of these hangers, the options are:

1. Position the hanger a couple of mm below the bottom of a truss so that as the wooden joist is supported by the cup of the hanger the joist meets the truss at exactly the same level or...
  2. Position the height of the hanger so that the bottom of the metal hanger cup is flush with the bottom of the roof truss with the result that the ceiling joist meets the truss a few mm to high.

Option 1 seems technically correct but will this result in bumps in the finished plasterboard as the protruding hanger cups distort the plasterboard?

I usually counter baton the trusses and floor joists with 70x25 mil sawn  cut This sorts out the bumps that the joist hangers leave 

and give you a better fixing for the PB

Also it helps to stop floor joists creaking 

11 minutes ago, nod said:

I usually counter baton the trusses and floor joists with 70x25 mil sawn  cut This sorts out the bumps that the joist hangers leave 

I had you down as a resilient bar sort of guy...

12 minutes ago, nod said:

Ah so for the loss of just 25mm of ceiling height this creates a nice wide 75mm target to aim the pasterboard fixing screws at?

"Counter baton" means fixed at 90 degrees to the line of the roof trusses I assume?

I have enough ceiling height on the ground floor to adopt the counter baton idea but upstairs things are a bit tight.

Upstairs joist to floorboard is 2353mm from which I need to subtract 15mm for plasterboard, another 18mm for the wooden floor and now another 25mm for the counter batons = 58mm.

Is 2295mm head height ok for upstairs? It feels low at the moment without any room stud walls to visually partition the whole space upstairs.

3 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Ah so for the loss of just 25mm of ceiling height this creates a nice wide 75mm target to aim the pasterboard fixing screws at?

"Counter baton" means fixed at 90 degrees to the line of the roof trusses I assume?  

If you look to the left I would of had the same problem with a row of hangers either side of the steel and the same to the right (Out of shot )

DE1BAE49-42A9-4FF4-9232-4B6DD84845D1.jpeg

Edited by nod