Electric into house quote

LA3222

Just after a sanity check on what sort of price I should be looking at.

Quoted £1500 for following (£1000 parts £500 labour):

12 way TPN distribution board with main switch kit

55m of 25mm SWA and a 63A supply from main board (kiosk has the service head/main board in it)

Containment unit around board - not sure what this consists of?

3 metal clad sockets on a 20A radial circuit

From what I can see the parts quote is there or thereabouts OK, not sure about the labour cost. I reckon 1 day to do all this? He said needs other bod to pull cable through, thats still £250 each if one day which seems high?

TIA

Looks steep on parts to me.

Cable is £400 inc, board (do you mean a TP&N board..?) £100, additional cable and metal clads £100, 63A switch £40

If you use a metal box you don’t need the containment. 

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Looks steep on parts to me.

Cable is £400 inc, board (do you mean a TP&N board..?) £100, additional cable and metal clads £100, 63A switch £40

If you use a metal box you don’t need the containment. 

Cable is 5 core SWA so £650 (excl vat) from what I can see.

Hager TP&N DB - three phase & neutral

Sorry, should have said that my supply is three phase?‍♂️

Yeah, the containment has me a little puzzled. AIUI the regs now state that the distribution board has to be metal? So what is the containment?

Edited by LA3222

So who’s done the calcs..? If it is 63A total then it is fine with 16mm 5 core if so as it is well within the drop, and it has a max of 75A. 

55m of 16A is £420 inc VAT, 25mm is about £600 for the same. 

11 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Is this to come from a kiosk where your power is terminated into the house?

I have a similar length run from my new transformer (those are not cheap!) into the house I could check the price I was charge (£18k all in....)

Yeah, my supply terminates into a kiosk i built on my plot. Looking to run a sub main now into the house itself.

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So who’s done the calcs..? If it is 63A total then it is fine with 16mm 5 core if so as it is well within the drop, and it has a max of 75A. 

55m of 16A is £420 inc VAT, 25mm is about £600 for the same. 

63A per phase, dont think this changes the price of fish? My supply head is 80A per phase, and there is a 6 way TP&N board in there. A supply will run from there to garage, house, garden room. Just sorting the house at the minute.

What supplier are you looking at for 55m of 5 core SWA at £600 incl vat? I havent searched, just looked at quickbit who i got the cable to run a supply to my static from which is where I got £650 excl vat from.

My numbers may be out but assuming £650 for the cable, £150 for the board, 63A switch £40, 63A RCBO £40, additional cable and metal clads £100 puts the material quote at about right? Unless I'm getting my prices wrong?‍♂️

Also how long to do the job? One day? Labour seems high?

I use online cables 

https://www.online-cables.co.uk/6945x-5x250mm-swa-cable-green-yellow-blue-brown-black-grey-cores-per-mtr-supplied-in-one-length-2008-p.asp

So 63A is fine on 16mm, are you planning on running the garage on 3P too..? If you have an 80A head then it will be the reason for 25mm spec. 

The installation issue will be that it is 2.5kg/m and is 32mm in diameter ... is this supposed to be pulled into a duct ..??! 

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I use online cables 

https://www.online-cables.co.uk/6945x-5x250mm-swa-cable-green-yellow-blue-brown-black-grey-cores-per-mtr-supplied-in-one-length-2008-p.asp

So 63A is fine on 16mm, are you planning on running the garage on 3P too..? If you have an 80A head then it will be the reason for 25mm spec. 

The installation issue will be that it is 2.5kg/m and is 32mm in diameter ... is this supposed to be pulled into a duct ..??! 

Ha, yes indeed its to be pulled into a duct. Your questions leaves me thinking this just might be a ball ache of a task?

100mm duct - hopefully not too bad a job?

Ref the garage, my static lives on that spot at the minute, when I got the van connected up I used a 10mm iirc 5 core swa so can transfer that to the garage supply at a later date.

Edited by LA3222