solvent to clean before silicone

amavadia

Ive tilled bathroom with matt finish porcelain tiles. About to silicone the internal corners but just wanted to know what solvent to use to clean the edges with that wont damage/discolour.

Read acetone is good but also damages grout? Ive used Mapei coloured grout. Also put some grout in the internal corners and will be siliconing on top.

Light silver grey colour grout and the tiles are light grey if it makes any difference

Errrrr, don't use a solvent ;) I never have in over a 1/4 century of doing high end bathrooms and wet rooms. Wet clean sponge to remove dry grout residue, then a cotton towel to scrub it dry. Leave to air dry thoroughly and then seal away. If you fear any other contamination, the CT1 MultiSolve is a good product to prepare areas for siliconing, but do you really need this extra process? 

42 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Errrrr, don't use a solvent ;) I never have in over a 1/4 century of doing high end bathrooms and wet rooms. Wet clean sponge to remove dry grout residue, then a cotton towel to scrub it dry. Leave to air dry thoroughly and then seal away. If you fear any other contamination, the CT1 MultiSolve is a good product to prepare areas for siliconing, but do you really need this extra process? 

Thanks. Its my first attempt and its a wetroom above a kitchen so really just wanted to do everything possible i can do prevent any leaks. Will be siliconing the edge where the floor of the wet area meets the walls too which is highest risk.

8 minutes ago, amavadia said:

Thanks. Its my first attempt and its a wetroom above a kitchen so really just wanted to do everything possible i can do prevent any leaks. Will be siliconing the edge where the floor of the wet area meets the walls too which is highest risk.

Have you grouted the gap between the wall tile and the floor / tray etc? Silicone should reinforce that, not replace it. Also, have you siliconed the tray to the wall BEFORE fitting the shower screen, just where the screen profile sits?

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Have you grouted the gap between the wall tile and the floor / tray etc? Silicone should reinforce that, not replace it. Also, have you siliconed the tray to the wall BEFORE fitting the shower screen, just where the screen profile sits?

Its a wetroom former tray made of cement coated foam. Walls have foam core tile backer boards. Siliconed where the wall pieces meet the tray, waterproof tape on edges, primed, tanked, tiled and grouted on all edges too so just on final step to silicone internal edges. Not got the screen in yet so will silicone behind the shower screen profile too.

Just now, amavadia said:

Its a wetroom former tray made of cement coated foam. Walls have foam core tile backer boards. Siliconed where the wall pieces meet the tray, waterproof tape on edges, primed, tanked, tiled and grouted on all edges too so just on final step to silicone internal edges. Not got the screen in yet so will silicone behind the shower screen profile too.

OK, so you've gone belt and 3 braces then :) Nice job !

Just lay an inch or so of clear CT1 where the shower screen wall profile hits the junction, and wipe any excess away with cheap baby wipes. Stops the water that lingers there becoming problematic, but in your instance is a mere insurance addition to the water-proofing that you've already observed.

Pics would be nice if/when possible please. ;) 

I would definitely rather go 3 braces with this than having to rip the kitchen ceiling out underneath later. Hopefully its good enough not to have to rely on warranty. The boards are completely waterproof. Even under the cement layer its foam so nothing getting through it. I was quite thorough with the taping/water proofing too. Same thing as Wedi, but Nassboard brand which came with a Larsen tanking kit.

IMG_3086.thumb.JPG.3ae26eda718ae7e958d932fe96679f50.JPG

IMG_3270.thumb.JPG.f75a39b323d40b092ec85facec07ce8b.JPGIMG_3271.thumb.JPG.6bb19d167f1bdfa82327e9cd6f14b05e.JPG

• Like 1