Help needed with I beam construction roof

joe90

I know, I know, but the I beam supplier that my builder uses is telling us  its not calculable , you guys agree with me. As per this thread further back I think I have found an I beam supplier that says it can be done so waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed. I don't want to pay an S.E. just to work this out if I don't need to.

On 1/12/2017 at 21:30, joe90 said:

I know, I know, but the I beam supplier that my builder uses is telling us  its not calculable , you guys agree with me. As per this thread further back I think I have found an I beam supplier that says it can be done so waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed. I don't want to pay an S.E. just to work this out if I don't need to.

Late to this party but subscribing to see what your supplier says Joe!

Right chaps we have a resolution , the I joist company have accepted my proposal but are insisting on a glulam ridge beam and glulam hip rafters ( despite their own website indicating they are not required) but I have decided to accept so I can progress and not pay for a structural engineer to prove my point.

Excuse my crappy drawing but I never got to do CAD. we are having 300 mm I joists as rafters but the ridge beam is glulam like the hip rafters and the ridge is supported on two 90mm square steel posts bolted on the top of two internal walks. This will all be lined in 9mm osb with glued joins as a vapour barrier and maybe painted to increase its resistance. I hope this helps others who may have similar problems, thanks for all your input. On to the next decision ?

IMG_0143.JPG