Hello there! 60's Semi extension/reno (one day I'll have a new build)

Matt64

Hi All,

Going for a second extension and remodel of our 60's semi in Cheshire/Peak district due to expanding family and ridiculous house prices. 

Trying to get a bog standard house to perform decently (not passive) and switch to 100% electric while having some nice details without the builder looking at me like I'm crazy.

Lots of google searches lead to this forum, so thought I'd best join.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Matt

Welcome. Maybe get second opinions from other builders/architects/designer friends and don't rush. It's good to have opinions of feasibility but if he feels you are bonkers you might be fighting cynicism all the time rather than finding solutions. On one renovation I did, the builder was so opinionated, he finally told me my ideas were going to look shit. It didn't, and no, I haven't used him again. 

I had a very arty designer friend visit my self build last week and she gave her opinion about the vaulted ceiling and I had to concede she was right... £8k later...

It can work the other way. A second opinion from another engineer saved £15k!

Welcome.

I did this piece some time ago about easy steps.

I also did this thread on another site about my standard Buy to let reno, which is usually targeted at reducing energy bills by 50% or so for new tenants. It really needs a moderate edit and posting on my blog here.

https://www.propertytribes.com/understanding-epc-certificates-t-127645323.html

Personally I would think carefully about 1960s due to asbestos issues, or check carefully.

HTH.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1