Keen amateur needs some help :)

David H

Hi,

I've spent my spare time in lockdown learning Autocad, laying  bricks/blocks to a line and attempting to build corners :)

I've bought a belle mixer, 110v transformer, wacker plate, hilti 3000 breaker, blakes profiles, cat scanner, pick axe trench shovel,wheelbarrow  and all the hand tools required for brick laying :)

I plan on trying to do as much work as I can on a small front extension. The house is semi detached and staggered, so my house is set back from it's attached neighbour and the neighbours already have a single height front extension. Other houses in the street with the same configuration had planning approved for single height front extensions, that extend out to the end of the party wall to match attached neighbours.

Originally I drew some plans that were for a single height extension, which I was reasonably happy with  but then I thought I might try to get planning permission on a partial double height extension to allow the upstairs bathroom to be extended (it currently only has a shower, as there isn't space for a bath). I was about to submit my attempt at plans but I have just realised I have an upstairs cavity wall floating above an internal (100mm) internal wall (circled in red below):-

image.thumb.png.50fea6ad199785848d0c0e529c43a92a.png

and wider cavity wall on the first floor:-

image.thumb.png.286294bbd9212690799e2032158b3798.png

Looking at the above, I have also just realised I have drawn a cavity for the extended section on the ground floor but a solid block on the first floor, should I change that?

Can I just put a beam in the drawing, as below? Would it need a vertical post where I have circles it in blue? It would have a 100mm internal wall under to support it.  I guess a structural engineer would advise. 

image.thumb.png.c18a0f76cad50bbc48297e54d8a79db6.png

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions on the drawings/build. 

Cheers,

David

Yes I think that's got to be discussed with the SE. He might suggest extending that beam to the cavity wall on left of the porch if that works.

Edited by Temp