Arkiplan

Jake85

I’m usually the first one to say you don’t need To pay an Architect to hold your hand throughout your build 

But an Architect does quite a bit more than just a drawing 

I think these online planners are great to give you some ideas Or to design a small extension 

It's an interesting business model they have but I'm not sure what design skills they bring to a project. Seems like they focus on the permissions and output side of things 

If you want a standard house, why not go to a kit home supplier?

And if you want a bespoke design for your individual site and suited to your lifestyle then use a designer who will at least visit the site and get the most out of the design...

I'm going for standard shape build. Using an ICF method. The supplier said they could introduce me to architects but not do the planning drawings for. I have measured out what I want, liased with planning and found an example of what I am hoping to.achieve. it's just drawing it all together that I need help with. Arkiplan seem to be the cheapest option iv found so far? Unless other suggestions.

You could look around your area for a local architectural technologist who would be able to take your design and turn it into competent drawings, which is what arkiplan offer (I don't think they are Architects) but it's a more comparable  service rather than using an architect...

The quotes iv been given from local architects have been 3.5k to get to the planning application stage, not the detailed drawings for building regs. Arkiplan are 1.2k to get to the same stage. Iv been trying to find a local technician, but it just links me back to the architects iv already contacted.

Have a look on your local planning portal to see who's submitting applications in your area, you'll usually find a large percentage of applications aren't made by Architects...

I guess CIAT might have a search facility on their site to find someone local to you?

Iv found plans online that I would like to use. Iv checked the size of them will fit the plot, and liaised with the local authority myself. I may just pay the £500 for the plans and do it myself this way? Then source a SE to help with the next stage? Be ok if I could draw ha. 

Look for ways to reduce risk rather than add it! 

Imo you want someone to take your ideas and put them into a set of drawings which are actually buildable under the current regs - we occasionally get enquiries from people asking us to do building warrant (building regs) drawings for something they've put through planning themselves, but when you review the plans, they don't comply with the regs!

I was planning on using another design of a house that has been built locally? As managed to find plans online that mirrored it? Im finding myself stuck in a cycle. I'm trying to build 3bed semis total size 10mx10m out of ICF. Trying to get quotes and pricing to see if the return is there to build them..they say they need plans to quote from, but then the plans are alot when I don't know if it's just throwing money away if the build will never happen of it's too dear :-(. First time doing this if you couldn't tell ha

at some point you're going to have to take a risk, it'll either be an investment or not, but if you're trying to do it as a development project then that's the rub of the green. 

We're nearly 5k into consulting fees on a development project at the moment trying to make sure it's viable... you need to take a punt tbh, although if you're building spec houses for resale the first thing to make sure is that your proposed construction method is widely accepted with mortgage companies 

Also if it's a house that's been built locally, why don't you ask the architect for that if you can use the plans for a planning app?

Edited by the_r_sole

Yeah iv checked the mortgage situation with the supplier as well as with different independent mortgage brokers so that's checked off :-). It's just working out build cost against resale value. Both of which is a bit tricky to get with no plans. So as you say it's all abit of a punt. I have different friends in trades locally for the internal works which I think will help with costs. It's just the foundations and actual build cost I'm trying to work out really. Resale is another tricky one, as would be building cheap to run family homes so would hope they would be able to achieve a good return..but new 3bed semis can be anywhere from 150-190 locally. Plots 80k,  scary stuff ha..maybe easier to just stick to my BTLs.