Window Sill Options With Cladding

Lex

Hi all,

I'm trying to determine my options for external window sills on a wooden clad building.

I have a timber frame house, mainly brick clad with an area of partially sloped timber cladding. I'm planning to remove the sloped cladding/battening that is currently flush with windows within it and install a thermowood cladding set further out, to be flush and straight with surrounding brickwork. This will create a reveal around the window that is too deep for a 180mm uPVC sill.

I was planning to get a local glazing company to update the old windows prior to the work, keeping uPVC as we're on a budget. Although it looks like we might be able to get an even longer sill on order, I'm looking at different options that might be more sympathetic to the black cladding we're using.

One idea was to order the windows with a stub sill and install slate sills underneath (I've seen this in a few photos I trawled online, I still need to find out how to fit the sills). I need to check with the manufacturer but it's also possible we could just make up a sill from the cladding material.

Are these sensible options? Am I missing a better alternative?

Yes to be honest we'll probably end up getting bog standard white uPVC windows, which the extra long uPVC sill will match.

I'm just exploring other options for sills that might blend better with the cladding rather than the windows. Thanks for the aluminum suggestion.