Hello all, plans in progress

PDR

Hi All, 

Just a quick Hi to everyone, looking forward to reading, helping out and learning from the forum.

We are negotiating on a plot at the moment to undertake a self build. I am in the process or drawing up our initial plans, we are hoping to do as much of the project ourselves as possible, including all the drawings and building regs plans.

The current plot has planning for a 4bed house but we are going to look to resubmit as a 5bed. We hope to change the design completely to make a modem looking 'barn' style house. Hoping to use a steel frame for the main structure, clad with composite panel cladding (that's the biggest concern with planners) to get the house up and watertight in a matter of weeks.

All the best.

PDR

Edited by PDR

welcome to the forum and good luck! I've learnt so much since I've been on here and I've still so much more to learn.

one thing I learnt while getting to this point is not to spend too much on a potential project before you own it! we got burnt twice with plots/properties falling through after spending for contamination reports, solicitors, architects etc and it was all money down the drain. so just be careful not to spend while you're still negotiating. 

for the property we finally purchased we made sure not to get ahead of ourselves and hire/pay for professional services until after we'd exchanged contracts and then we went all out from there! literally the day after we exchanged we arranged for architects to come view and quote safe in the knowledge that if we lost the house we could recoup losses from the sellers.