How much electric do you all use and how to calculate storage

Conor

So, my PV install has escalated from a few panels on a garage roof to a 5pKw+ full in-roof system with panels on multiple roofs. I'm pleasantly surprised at the price of combined inverters/batteries and might take the plunge - e.g. https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/sofar-storage/sofar-hyd3600-us3000-kits

I've been looking on line for typical electric demand calculators but not found anything that's relevant to a new EPC A build.

Interested to see what you folk are consuming.... we'll be a household of 3 in a 200m2 house, 5Kw ashp, the usual appliances etc.... and now since COVID, likely somebody working from home each day.

I know the savings are marginal... but here in NI we have a crap electric market with basically no choice, I see battery as a way to make bigger savings than selling back to the grid.

Would the likes of a 3.5kWh battery be much use?

Ignoring heating and hot water, we use typically 60=70kWh per week powering "stuff"  Which is a one word way of saying the washing machine, the dishwasher, the tumble dryer, the fridge freezer, the televisions, computers, lights, vacuum cleaners and anything else you care to mention.  We use a lot more powering "stuff" than we do heating the house and the hot water.

If you could store 6kWh in batteries that could pretty much eliminate what "stuff" uses in the summer.

Instead without batteries I just use the big appliances in the daytime to self use the solar PV generation and that, plus dumping excess to hot water, uses up almost all we generate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1